Wednesday 20 February 2013

Benefit Erase Paste vs Boi-ing concealer!

Hello :)
Today I wanted to do a post based on one of the questions that I spent a lot of time researching before buying a Benefit concealer. I'm always on the hunt for new concealers that I love and a while back now I was looking at trying out a Benefit concealer, but I didn't know which one!

By a happy coincidence I now happen to own both the Boi-ing concealer and the Erase Paste, so I feel I can now give them a proper run down of which I prefer!

Here they are side by side...I got the Boi-ing in full size for around £16 and the Erase Paste is a smaller version from the "Finding Mr Bright" kit from Benefit.
 
 
Erase Paste:


Pros:
  • Good pigmentation. The coverage is probably medium for this, but the coverage is pretty good as long as you layer it. (Swatches below)
  • An orange/salmon colour helps to hide blueness under the eyes which makes it got for eye bags
  • Quite creamy in texture and also thick, but does blend quite well.
  • Lasts quite well on the eyes.
  • The packaging..as with other Benefit products is pretty, but I don't know if you can count that as a pro...I wouldn't buy a product just based on it's packaging! :P
  • Has 4.4g which is more than Boi-ing.
Cons:
  • For  a full size this costs £19.50 for a full sized version...Very expensive for a concealer.
  • Only comes in 3 colours...this one is in medium and is too dark for me. All colours have a salmon undertone to them which could mean colour matching is quite difficult.
  • Creases quite badly under the eyes after a while...more than the average concealer.
  • You generally have to dip your finger into the pot to get it out, which isn't too hygienic..I don't find this a major problem as it is typical with potted concealers.
Boi-ing:

Pros:
  • This has 5 colour choices which makes it easier to find a colour match. It has Light, Light/Medium, Medium, Medium/dark, Dark. This also doesn't have the salmon tone that Erase Paste has which also might help with colour matching.
  • Slightly cheaper than Erase Paste, this is only £16.50 as opposed to £19.50.
  • Has 3g which is more than some concealers I've tried...yet it is still less than Erase Paste (but bear in mind it is cheaper)
Cons:
  • Packaging feels quite cheap/plastic-y. The packaging isn't very sturdy at all.
  • Again, like Erase Paste you have to dip your finger in which might be a problem for some people.
  • I don't like the texture of this...to me it feels like a lip balm. It feels very greasy and even feels like that when it's on your skin.
  • Coverage isn't good. This is expensive, but still has probably less coverage than some concealers I've tried that only cost a couple of pounds.
  • Texture is hard to work with, it feels slimy and is hard to blend because when you blend it, you end up just moving the product around.
  • Creases like crazy. More than Erase Paste. It creases badly no matter what powder or primer I use with it, by the end of the day it looks like a cakey mess.
I genuinely think the only reason I've managed to hit pan on the Boi-ing Concealer is that I have literally been trying it so many times to get it to work for me.
 
Above: Boi-ing
Below: Erase Paste
 
 
Overall:
Generally, I prefer Erase Paste to Boi-ing, but if I'm being completely honest I'm not that fond of either of them. I don't use either that much anymore as I've found better alternatives like the MAC Select Cover which is cheaper and covers better. My main problem with both is that they both crease quite badly because they are so creamy in texture. I can live with that with Erase Paste, as at least it does actually cover! Boi-ing has a horrible texture to me because it's so greasy, and it doesn't even cover well. Both of them are expensive, and like I mentioned I'm not too fond of either, but occasionally I do use Erase Paste. I don't use Boi-ing anymore, apart from when I want something to mute out the natural colour of my lips before applying lipstick. It does feel like a lip balm! Only not moisturising...
 :/

So overall I prefer Erase Paste and do use it occasionally. I would consider buying Erase Paste again if I find a colour that works better for me, as if the colour was better I could live with the creasing.
I won't buy boi-ing again, but I will carry on using it to mute out the colour of my lips occasionally.


Thank you for reading, I hope this was useful to you!
Libby x

No comments:

Post a Comment