Friday 17 May 2013

*REVIEW* Sleek Au Naturel Eye Shadow Palette

*This is a scheduled post as over the next few weeks I will be busy with exams*

Hi!
Recently I bought a new palette from Sleek (now my fourth!) and now I feel like I've had long enough to play with it and try out new looks and I think it's time I did a review!

For some strange reason the photos today are sometimes looking a little squashed...so feel free to click on them to enlarge them if you wish! :)
 

 
 
All of the Sleek I-Divine Eye Shadow Palettes are available from certain Superdrug stores as well as online (www.sleekmakeup.com)
They all cost £7.99 and contain 12 mineral based eye shadows.
 
I believe this palette was from a collection called "Nude" that I think was released a while back...but this palette still seems to be permanent so I'm guessing they made it part of the permanent line.
 

 
I really love the packaging of these palettes...they are slightly hard to open (I wouldn't risk trying to open them if I'd just done my nails!) but they look so...well...sleek.
The packaging is always black and this palette seems to not only have a very slightly different graphic on the top but unlike my other palettes this doesn't have the criss-cross pattern on the shadows...which is a bit of a shame as that pattern made me think of Sleek!
 
This palette caught my eye as being a great palette for natural, toned down days.
Of the 12 shades, 8 are completely matte, 3 are metallic and one just has a slight bit of shimmer in it.
I think it's time for some swatches! :)
 
This palette has a plastic insert that has the names of the individual shades on it which I really like.
In the swatch above, the shades are from the top:
Nougat, Nubuck, Cappuccino, Honeycomb, Toast, Taupe, Conker, Moss, Bark, Mineral Earth, Regal and finally Sleek's famous black shade...Noir.
I'll give you some closer up swatches and a run down of the shades!
Nougat, Nubuck, Cappuccino, Honeycomb, Toast, Taupe


Toast (again), Taupe (again), Conker, Moss, Bark, Mineral Earth, Regal, Noir.
 
The shades are:
 
Nougat:
A matte, very pale nude colour. It doesn't show up that well on the swatch but this shade is my most used shade in the palette and it has a big dent in it!
This makes a great highlight. If applied with a large fluffy brush below the brow bone it softens any harsh lines and brightens the eye subtly.
 
Nubuck:
One of the two slightly disappointing shades in here.
This shade is a matte, light grey colour which reminds me of concrete.
Would be good for blending but this one is lacking the soft texture and pigmentation that the other shades have.
You can build this up slightly but it is quite patchy and generally not very pigmented.
 
Cappuccino:
This is a matte, pale taupe colour. It reminds me of a really milky tea! :)
This does have a nice soft texture and good pigmentation.
Really good for blending out the crease.
 
Honeycomb:
This shade is also really soft and creamy.
This is a matte, cream/pale golden colour.
Again, a great blending colour. Most of the shades on this line seem really good for blending.
 
Toast:
The other disappointing shade.
This is a matte peachy colour, but like "Nubuck" it is sheerer than the others, can be a bit patchy and generally doesn't have great colour payoff.
Also it isn't as soft as the other shades. I suppose if you used it for blending it would blend out another shade but not do very well on it's own.
 
Taupe:
Not really sure why this is called "Taupe" as this doesn't seem like the most Taupe-y shade to me but never mind!
This is another well-used shade in this palette for me.
This is a metallic, light pink-toned golden colour.
There is plenty of shimmer in this and I've been used it a few times over the past week or so spread over the lid for a really simple look.
This has great colour payoff and lasts really well on the lid.
 
Conker:
This shade is a metallic bronze colour with definite red tones.
This is pretty but could do with being slightly more pigmented. This isn't quite as soft as other shades but it is buildable and does look very pretty.
 
Moss:
This colour has a slight bit of shimmer in it but isn't metallic like others.
This shade is kind of muted, dirty, olive green colour with slight golden shimmer.
I haven't worn this a whole lot since I got it but I do like the shade and the colour payoff is very good and the shadow is soft and blends well.
 
Bark:
This shade is PIGMENTED! :)
I barely have to touch it with my finger and I have great pigmentation.
The colour is a matte, cool toned, plum with hints of brown/taupe.
This shade is really soft and a little goes a long way - it works very well in the outer v!
 
Mineral Earth:
This is another one of my favourite shades...
This is metallic deep bronze colour with some bits of gold in it.
It's not all that unique as I think I have some similar shades but it's still very pretty.
The colour is very rich.
 
Regal:
This is a matte, dark plum purple. Think "Bark" but darker.
Like "Bark" this is very pigmented and I actually used it today for a look.
It isn't the easiest to blend in the world but it still does work well.
 
Noir:
I have to confess I haven't used this a whole lot as I've been experimenting lately with other shades apart from black!
However I have used it once or twice and the swatch is also impressive.
This is your standard, matte black and so is very useful to have in a palette for this as it would do well in the crease or in the outer v.
 
 
 
Overall:
Sleek has never disappointed me before and it certainly hasn't started!
I've been reaching for this palette a lot recently and I'm very glad I picked it up...
I'm not a huge matte shadow person but this palette has really helped me get into matte eye shadow looks...
I actually used this to create a "1920's look" the other day and I was really pleased with the result:
 
I think here I have Nougat all over the lid and as a highlight, with Bark in the crease blended out with Honeycomb and I think Bark is smudged under the lash line.
 
I think what I liked about this palette is the fact that you have everything you need to create a full look...So many palettes don't have a good highlight colour for me as I don't like using overly shimmery colours as highlights under the brown bone so I'm so glad this palette has such a good highlight.
 
It also has some really nice crease colours and a useful matte black. You can go totally neutral with this or get some really dark, dramatic looks so it's very versatile.
Generally most shades are good quality, the only ones I'm not too fond of are Nubuck and Toast but the others are great especially for the price!
 
So that's it! :) I hope you enjoyed my review...thank you for reading!
Have you tried Sleek shadows yet?
Libby x

No comments:

Post a Comment