Monday 10 June 2013

Makeup Look: Black & Gold Eye

Hi!

I've always adored the combination of gold and black together in an eye look - I think it looks smoky and dark  but also the pop of gold makes it look sophisticated yet interesting!

I saw a picture of a makeup look done by someone on the MakeupGeek site the other day in their "idea gallery" (MakeupGeek is absolutely amazing by the way! Marlena does videos on youtube which are great but also their site is really useful and I always find inspiration from their idea gallery) and decided I had to try and recreate a similar look!
By the way the site is http://www.makeupgeek.com/  if you're interested - I'd definitely recommend having a look around there are reviews, swatches and different makeup looks on there...I swear I'm not paid by them or anything, I just love the site! :)
 
Anyway, on to the look!
 
 
 
 
This look is quite dramatic and it does take a little bit of time and blending to get it looking finished and to make sure it looks smoky without looking messy, but in my opinion its worth it!
I am by no means an amazing makeup artist, but overall I'm pleased with the finished look!
 
I also was looking for a chance to use one of my E.L.F Pigment Eye shadow that I picked up a few weeks ago - I've been waiting for the perfect look to use one for!
 
Here are the products I used:
 
Urban Decay Primer Potion - Original
(I often use the E.L.F eyelid primer but I decided since the look was so dark I would use the best primer I have to avoid things going wrong)
Stila Fibre Optics Mascara
Urban Decay 24/7 Glide On Eye Liner in Zero
NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil in Milk
NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil in Black Bean
NYX Single Eye shadow in Midnight
E.L.F Pigment Eye shadow in Golden Goddess
120 Pro Palette (I will highlight the individual shades below)
 
 
First of all I applied the primer, then used a small stiff brush to use the NYX pencil in Black Bean and created the shape I wanted with this and filled it in to act as a dark base. I left a space on the centre of the lid for the gold shadow.
I went over this with the NYX shadow in Midnight and blended this out with the brown and cream shades in the 120 palette shown above.
I used the NYX shadow because instead of just being plain black it has small amounts of gold and silver glitter in it which I think works better with the gold on the centre of the lid.
I used the NYX pencil in Milk dotted under the brow bone and on the inner corner and added the white from the 120 palette to go over these to highlight the inner corner and the brow bone. This also helped blend out the black that I had on the lid.
I used a small bit of the matte black from the  120 palette to darken the "outer v" of the eye slightly.
I added a small amount of the NYX pencil in Milk to the empty space that I left on the ball of my lid. I then used a stiff brush to pat on the E.L.F pigment in Golden Goddess onto the lid and blended it slightly by patting.
I lined the water lines with the UD liner and added mascara. I also smudged some black shadow beneath the lash line.
 
 
Phew! Basically this look takes a lot of blending, but I think it's work it as the final result is really pretty. I love the way the NYX shadow works with the E.L.F pigment and I think the pigment itself is really pretty.
 I'll do a review on the E.L.F pigments that I have soon!

Thank you for reading, I hope you enjoyed the look!
Libby x

No comments:

Post a Comment