Wednesday 12 June 2013

NYX Jumbo Eye Pencils VS Barry M Super Soft Eye Crayons

Hi!

The NYX Jumbo Eye Pencils are already pretty well known throughout the makeup world but long before I discovered them I was using the Super Soft Eye Crayons from Barry M....I thought I'd write this post to see how they compare to each other.
Both are marketed as large, creamy liners and so it only seems natural to make a comparison!


 
I have 3 NYX Jumbo Eye Pencils in the shades (left to right)
Pots & Pans
Milk
Black Bean
 
 
I then have 2 Barry M Super Soft Eye Crayons in (again left to right)
No. 5
No. 1
 
 
NYX says: "A radiant eye liner that also doubles as an eye shadow. Made with a blend of mineral oil and powder, our creamy Jumbo Eye Pencils glide on effortlessly no pulling, tugging or fading and come in a rainbow of vivid hues. Some call her chubby. We say voluptuous. Available in 28 shades."
 
Barry M says:  "Jumbo sized pencils with an extra soft formulation and a thicker application in a variety of shimmering and matt colours."
 
 
Here are some swatches of them all. From the top they are:
 
NYX Black Bean
NYX Pots & Pans
NYX Milk
Barry M No. 1
Barry M No. 5
 
As I have black shades from both brands I also thought I'd show  them side by side for a more direct comparison:
 
 
The top is the NYX the bottom is the Barry M.
Here are some similarities and differences between the brands:
 
Similarities:
 
  • Both brands are budget brands or drugstore brands.
  • Both liners are very soft and creamy
  • They are both thick formulas
  • They can both be used as bases
  • They both come in shimmer & matte
  • Both are very large pencils (roughly the same size)
 
Differences:
 
  • The Barry M is cheaper at £3.99 compared to £4.50 for NYX.
  • Barry M is much easier to get hold of if you're in the UK as its found in drugstores over here; NYX is probably easier to get hold of in the US.
  • NYX comes in 28 shades...from the Barry M website there are only 5 shades available. I have seen more than five in actual drugstores but I'm fairly certain there are not as many as 28.
  • In terms of texture, the NYX is creamier and "wetter". You can see this in the swatch of the two black shades, the NYX is on the top and you can clearly see the "shine" on it.
  • Barry M is more of a "crayon" texture (as the name would suggest...)
  • I feel that the NYX is slightly more pigmented as it takes less strokes to make it completely opaque.
  • The Barry M could probably be used on it's own and it wouldn't be SO essential to set it with a shadow. I'd still recommend you do this, but its not 100% essential as it's a drier formula. The NYX is far too creamy to be left on it's own.
  • I would say that the NYX works marginally better as a base because its creamier and stickier, but it is also harder to use because of this. It can get slightly messy.
 
 
Overall...these are both really good products and I'm not for a second going to say that I don't like either of them.
I think most of it depends on where you live...if you're in the US the NYX is going to be much easier to find and if you're in the UK the Barry M is going to be easier to find.
Generally..i think I do prefer the NYX simply because it is creamier and so clings to shadows better when you're using it as a base.
I also find that the colours I have for the NYX pencils are more useful. The Milk shade that I have gets used so much its now very short. While the black shade in Barry M is very useful the lilac shade isn't as versatile so I just don't get as much use out of it.
I do generally use the NYX pencils more although if I was in a rush I would definitely "trust" the Barry M more, because as its drier there is less chance of making a mess.
They are both very pigmented and have some great colours although NYX does have more.
 
Personally, I'd buy more of either brand! Maybe I'll get another Barry M pencil in a white shade, as it would be slightly harder for me to repurchase my NYX pencil in Milk if and when it runs out!
They are both really great products in their own right though!
 
Thank you for reading! Have you tried either of these products?
Libby x

No comments:

Post a Comment