Tuesday 13 August 2013

*REVIEW* Sleek Ultra Matts V1 Palette (+ swatches!)

Hi!
 
I have  another review for Sleek today...I have quite a few of their I-Divine eyeshadow palettes (5 in fact) and this is my latest addition. I showed this in my latest haul post which you can see HERE.



 
I love the packaging of these palettes they look so Sleek. I guess that's the point. :)
 I like the fact that it comes with a great mirror and an eye shadow brush that is actually semi-usable!
 
I was originally looking for the Acid palette but couldn't find it in my Superdrug so I got this one instead...there are two Ultra Matts and this is Version 1. Version 2 has some darker, smokier colours I think.
 
These cost about £6.99 each.
 
Also apologies for the sideways photos. Hopefully it doesn't detract too much from the super bright colours...for some reason when I transfer photos over to my computer sometimes they get flipped somehow!
 
Here's a run down of the colours!
 
 
 
These are the first 6 colours...
I'm not going to say matte each time because all of these colours are matte!
 
Chill: Light, sky blue
Pout: Bright hot pink (I'd say a Barbie pink!)
Sugarlite: One of my favourites...a bright medium purple
Dragon Fly: Dark forest green
Pucker: Similar to Pout...slightly cooler toned?
Bamm!:  Bright, obnoxious yellow
 
 
And here are the final 6 colours...
 
Cricket: Slightly lighter green than Dragonfly
Bolt: Bright electric blue
Strike: One of my favourites...apologies for the smudge on the left side of the swatch I didn't clean my brush that well..anyway this is a bright medium orange
Floss: Baby, pastel pink
Crete: Pale, concrete grey
Pow!: Pure white (sorry you can't see this swatch too well because it blends in with my skin tone!)
 
 
I find that all of these shadows are...decently pigmented.
My favourite shades are Sugarlite, Bamm!, Bolt, Strike and Pow!.
All of these are pretty well pigmented.
However there are some which let the palette down slightly..
 
Cricket, Chill, Floss And Crete were slightly harder to build up the colour on and they just weren't as pigmented.
 
Colours?
 
Also one downside of this palette is that they haven't thought through the colour selection too well...let me explain.
Pout and Pucker are VERY similar. In fact at a glance, in the palette looking now it seems as though they are the same colour.
Also, Dragon Fly and Cricket are also a little too similar for my liking.
There is difference in these shades, but it isn't hugely noticeable. I feel that Sleek could've taken out one of the bright pinks and one of the bright greens and replaced them with something else...maybe a bright red would make it more interesting, or just a lighter green or really deep burgundy.
I just feel that they didn't do too great on the colour selection here. They have a good highlight in Pow! (as long as you are fair skinned like me) but there also isn't a really dark colour that you could use for a liner or to darken a look.
 
In saying that it is fun to use this palette because there are so many bright shades...I think Strike and Sugarlite are what drew me into getting this palette.
 
Pigmentation?
 
I think that in terms of the shadows they are good, but not fantastic. Some of them feel a little chalky and just don't quite have the amazing pigmentation that we've come to expect from Sleek. But then I know that it is harder to formulate matte colours and Sleek's shimmers and metallic have always been their highlights.
 
I swatched the shades above just using a primer and after using these shadows I now know that they work best over a sticky base, something like the NYX shadow bases would work well, or the Jumbo Eye Pencils. They just work better with something to cling to.
 

 I created a look using this palette after getting it so I thought I'd show you!
 
 
 
I used Sugarlite, Bamm!, Strike, Bolt and Pow! to create this look.
 
 
Overall?
 
So generally while I do like this palette I don't feel like it's an essential item to have in a collection.
I like the bright colours and although it's not a wearable palette it is fun to create different bright looks when I'm feeling creative!
However some of the colours are lacking slightly in the blendability and pigmentation department and I feel the colour selection isn't great.
 
This is a fun palette to have and I'm sure I'll be using it especially for fun, colourful looks but I don't feel that you'd need to rush out to get this.
I still ADORE Sleek shadows though because they are great for the price, it's just that matte colours aren't their speciality.  
I'm still looking for the Sleek Acid palette....wish me luck!
 
Thanks so much for reading!
Have you tried any of the Sleek Palettes?
Libby x
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment